Lake Manyara, Tanzania

Sunday, May 30, 2010

We've Got Everything We Need Right Here

.... and everything we need is enough. (Banana Pancakes - Jack Johnson)

This morning we slept until the glorious hour of 9, no nasty bells or roosters could wake us. We strolled downstairs in our pj's, ready for a Sunday of relaxation! We made the most amazing banana pancakes, with scrambled eggs and bacon. D-e-luxe. After a quick clean up, we changed into our bathing suits ready to embrace the African sun. We chose to go to Kigongoni Lodge, which is just outside of Arusha..With only five of us now, plus Ronnie and Moses (coordinators), it was sure a quiet get away.. Missing our project crew, and the room is most definitely a lot emptier without Naveen and Brooke! Hope Canada is treating you ladies well.. Isaacs cooking has improved dramatically. Just kidding. We just get more salad now!

Kigongoni Lodge is paradise. They allow people to lounge by their pool for free, which is incredibly generous. We were the only people there all day, with the spectacular view of Kilimanjaro to entrance us. I had to lie on my stomach because it's still recovering from the last weekend in the sun. Today my back is in about the same position as my stomach was before. You'd think I'd learn.. Oh well, it'll keep my bed warm tonight!


After our day of Tusker, Kilimanjaro (the local beers) and sun, we headed home. I rode on the back of Ronnie's motorcycle, the whole time thinking about how much my mom would disapprove. Ronnie in his sandals and board-shorts, and me in my flip flops and capris. We both had on helmets, but something just seemed strange! Things like this just make me think T.I.A., and not Canada.

We napped then decided to order in our Sunday dinner. We got pizza from Maasai Cafe, french fries from the restaurant/pub (this is Africa, so don't think like Barley Mill or any type of Canadian pub, more like an outdoor plastic furniture kind of thing), and boiled some hotdogs. Hello america. We even had homemade banana chocolate chip muffins for dessert, which were amazing. Here's a little more on what it's like to live in Tanzania;

1,400 Tanzanian shillings = $1

1 Kilimanjaro or Tusker beer = 1,100 TSH
6 Bananas = 500 TSH
Taxi to town = 3,000 TSH
Dala dala to town = 250 TSH
Souvenir T Shirt = 5,500 TSH
Cell phone = 40,000 TSH
Test message = 40 TSH
1.5 L Water = 1,000 TSH
Loaf of bread = 250 - 500 TSH
Antibiotics for pneumonia and ringworm = 4,000 TSH
Average wage = 300,000 TSH/Month
Government workers wage = 6 million TSH/Month
Gas = 1,400 TSH/Litre

I would also love to hear what you want to know about life here! Leave me a comment! I just get so wrapped up in it and completely forget that so much of what happens here is really not normal in my Canadian lifestyle. Also, the organization I'm here with is Volunteer Abroad, and I'm working with the local organization LOHADA, Loving Hands for the Disadvantaged and Aged..

Already counting down the days until my family and the Brickenden's come! It will be amazing to have more people to share my adventure with.

3 comments:

  1. your stories are interesting and entertaining. Just reading about your day to day life is what I like. It is also interesting learning about the life of the kids in the orphanage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're doing a such a great work there in Tanzania.
    Good luck and warm greetings from Venice, Italy!
    Dona

    ReplyDelete
  3. linds!! sounds like your doing such a good job there, so proud of you! your adventures seem so exciting and im quite jealous! miss you love cant wait to see you! stay safe and keep having fun. xoxo

    ReplyDelete